As CBD makes its way into our kitchens in the form of yummy desserts, appetisers and more, it’s no surprise that it’s also finding its way into our drinks and cocktails. We’ve found CBD cocktails (and mocktails) to be an incredible way to wind down after a long day.
While you’ve probably noticed a new abundance of CBD-infused alcohol and cocktail mixers on the retail shelves, you’ve likely also noticed that they come with a bit of sticker shock. They ain’t cheap.
But, did you know that you can easily work your favourite tincture into your favourite drink for a quick, easy, and delicious CBD cocktail? Not only do CBD tinctures mix well into both cold and hot drinks, their flavour profiles contribute to a cocktail’s taste much like well-chosen bitters and garnishes.
Are you ready to try a CBD cocktail, but aren’t feeling like an adventurous mixologist just yet? Never fear, we have a few starter recipes below to illustrate how adding CBD to three popular cocktails can enhance their flavour and your drinking experience.
Before we dive into the CBD cocktail recipes, let’s do a refresher on what CBD is and how it works. Why? Because it helps us understand how CBD interacts with the alcohol and other ingredients in our cocktails! When we know that, we can try new recipes with confidence.
Let’s kick back, mix up a CBD margarita, and do this thing.
What Is CBD?
CBD is the common abbreviation for cannabidiol. You have to admit, “cannabidiol” doesn’t sound like the sexiest cocktail ingredient ever.
CBD is one of many therapeutic molecular compounds, called cannabinoids, found in the cannabis plant. Unlike its famous but distant relative, THC, CBD is not psychoactive. That means it won’t get you high.
This is a very important distinction when it comes to mixing a cocktail.
While CBD does not get you high, it does impart a host of benefits that people describe as calming, relaxing, and causing a distinct “chill” feeling.
How Does CBD Work?
Sure, you’ve heard people talk themselves blue over the chill benefits of CBD. But what’s the science here?
CBD and its cousin cannabinoids, like CBG and CBN, interact with receptors in what’s known as the endocannabinoid system. This is a system that exists in all mammals.
The endocannabinoid system is integrated with our central and peripheral nervous systems, as well as systems that regulate sleep, digestion, and immunity. When a cannabinoid interacts with a receptor in this system, it passes along the therapeutic benefits we have come to love it for.
Are CBD Cocktails Safe?
If CBD comes from the cannabis plant, and I’m mixing it with alcohol, is a CBD cocktail safe?
Short answer: yes.
Since CBD isn’t psychoactive, we don’t have to worry about adding a high on top of the intoxicating effects of alcohol.
In addition, some studies imply that CBD might reduce blood alcohol concentration and ward against alcohol-induced damage to our cells. While we find that exciting, it’s crucial to note that we don’t make definitive medical claims, nor do we support making definitive claims about this.
Rather than compounding the intoxicating effects of alcohol, CBD works its own magic, providing the relaxing benefits people seek it out for.
The key to an enjoyable CBD cocktail experience is in taste and dosage. As we’ll mention below, you’ll need to get familiar with how your CBD tincture tastes, so you know how it will contribute to the overall flavour of your drink. Similarly, know how much CBD oil works best for you. Don’t make CBD cocktails with a heavy hand. Use just the amount you would normally imbibe.
As with anything involving alcohol, moderation and ethical use are absolutely critical. Since CBD and alcohol will work together to some degree, it’s important to moderate how much you consume, as too much will likely make you very sleepy. Also, you should always inform anyone about what’s in their drink before you hand it to them.
How Do You Make a CBD Cocktail?
While there’s a whole cornucopia of CBD-infused alcohol and mixers on the market, we’re going to look today at how to make CBD cocktails with your very own CBD tincture. Why? Because we believe that using your own CBD tincture not only saves you a bit of money, it also gives you the freedom to make what you like best, with the alcohol brands and ingredients you prefer.
Here are our tips for making a CBD cocktail you’ll love.
CBD Cocktails 101
- Know how your CBD tincture tastes. For instance, our CBD + CBG Wellness Tincture tastes citrusy, with a tiny hint of turmeric. This makes it great for a wide range of drinks, from summery mojitos to bracing Manhattans. On the other hand, our CBD Oil Hemp Tincture has a rich, botanical taste ideal for gin and tonics, and any drink that benefits from a botanical pop.
- Know how much to use. With most of the recipes in our CBDfx Kitchen Classics series, we recommend one serving of CBD tincture to one serving of your recipe. With cocktails, this can be a bit different. Think about the pre-CBD strength of your cocktail, and how many you might have. For instance, if you’re planning on having two drinks, consider putting half a serving of CBD tincture into your CBD cocktail and seeing how it feels. Like we said earlier, moderation is key in all things alcohol.
- Have your CBD cocktail in the evening. While we’re not here to debate the relative merits of day-drinking, it’s safe to say that a CBD cocktail isn’t the ideal choice for that pastime. Rather, a CBD cocktail is a drink for the evening, preferably at home or within a short rideshare home. In other words, that CBD Manhattan is probably gonna get you sleepy.
What CBD Oil Tincture Should I Use in My CBD Cocktail?
Today, we’ll be working exclusively with CBDfx CBD oil tinctures. CBDfx is one of the most respected CBD brands in the world, in large part because our pure, natural CBD is lab-tested by a third party and because it’s made with none of the pesticides, solvent residues or other harmful chemicals that you might find in other brands.
CBDfx offers two CBD oil tinctures.
Wellness CBD + CBG 2:1 Tincture
Our Wellness CBD + CBG 2:1 Tincture is packed with antioxidants and superfoods, like curcumin, coenzyme Q10, as well as a 2:1 ratio of broad spectrum CBD and CBG. This tasty tincture is a healthy supplement on its own.
As we mentioned, it has a citrusy flavour with a bold dash of turmeric.
CBD Oil Hemp Tincture
Our CBD Oil Hemp Tincture is a pure and simple ingredient for any recipe. It’s formulated with high-quality CBD oil and coconut-derived MCT oil. Also, it’s available in three strengths, regular (500mg), extra strength (1000mg), and maximum strength (1500mg).
This hemp tincture has a rich flavour with botanical notes. It goes well with pretty much anything.
Alright, let’s get to the recipes already!
CBD Cocktail Recipes
We’ve picked three beloved and very different drinks for your CBD cocktails primer. These will let you experience the breadth and versatility of CBD for drinks before you start blazing your own trails.
Note that with each recipe, we’re recommending half a dose of CBDfx CBD oil, with the assumption that you’re going to have more than one drink. Always start slow and see what works best for you.
The margarita is the ultimate summer drink. Just hearing the name conjures images of beachside bars and leisurely afternoons sheltering from the heat. Here’s a recipe for a classic margarita with a CBD boost.
Makes 1 CBD cocktail.
60ml your favorite tequila
½ dropper of CBDfx CBD oil tincture
15ml Cointreau or triple sec (your preference)
30ml fresh lime juice
15 ml simple syrup
Kosher salt or coarse sea salt
1 fresh lime
- Add tequila, CBD oil tincture, mixer, lime juice and simple syrup into a shaker with ice.
- Shake that thing.
- Put salt on a plate, moisten your glass rim with some lime juice, lightly rim your glass on the plate to coat it in salt.
- Strain your margarita into the glass and garnish it with a wedge or wheel of lime.
CBD Old Fashioned
We love how the classics seem to come around again to be enjoyed anew. With drinks like the old fashioned, the Moscow mule and the Manhattan charting again, it’s exciting to transform classic cocktails into CBD cocktails. Best part, it’s so easy, but it feels oh-so-fancy.
Makes 1 CBD cocktail.
60ml your favorite bourbon
1 dash bitters (just 1 because the CBD oil tincture will also act as bitters)
½ dropper of CBDfx CBD oil tincture
5ml sugar (or 1 sugar cube)
1 fresh orange
- Chill your glass
- Muddle your CBD oil tincture, sugar and bitters in your chilled glass
- Add ice cubes
- Pour in that bourbon
- Stir and garnish with a wedge or twist of orange
CBD Hot Toddy
This is the ultimate cozy winter evening drink. It’s also a prime opportunity to enjoy how well CBD tinctures perform in a warm drink. For generations, people have looked to hot toddies as a cure-all for everything from aches and pains to colds. All we know is, they’re tasty and as cozy as a sweater.
Makes 1 CBD cocktail.
45ml your favorite whiskey (some people say bourbon, but we prefer Irish whiskey with ours)
½ dropper CBDfx CBD oil tincture
10ml lemon juice
1 fresh lemon
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Put the kettle on. Heat up your water as if you’re making a cup of tea.
- Pour the hot water into your favorite (big) mug.
- Add whiskey, CBD tincture, honey, lemon juice.
- Probably add a little more honey.
- Garnish with a wedge or round of lemon and, if you like, that cinnamon stick.
- Pretend you’re a tired sea captain resting after a long voyage.
CBD Cocktails: A Recipe for Fun!
We began our CBDfx Kitchen Classics series because we’re as excited by the culinary possibilities of cooking (or mixing) with CBD as you are!
We hope these simple recipes not only provide you with some really tasty CBD cocktails, but also give you the confidence to create your own! Let us know what CBD cocktails you create, and how you made them.
Ready to make your own CBD cocktail? Try our tinctures!